Monday, July 28, 2008

the shack


Life has been full of ups and downs lately as life is usually that way.

We were blessed, as a family, with an amazing weekend at the lake with friends. To our great sadness, while there we were alerted to the death of my Uncle Rod. I thank God that he put us among friends as we learned that news. What a blessing to have loving people to hug you and offer prayers and watch out for your children.

My Uncle Rod's funeral was beautiful. He would have been so proud of his wife and children. He was a fireman/EMT and the fire department led the processional to the cemetary...what a sight...majestic and grand, but simple all at the same time.

Upon leaving the funeral Jon and I headed to Chrysalis, a youth retreat. That was a change of pace. So incredibly odd to be ancient (and the kids remind you of that fact ALL day!) at my age. I really do deserve it as I've tormented my parents over the year about how "old" they are :) A blessing always, though, to see with your own eyes that another generation will be carrying the Light.

When we returned home from Chrysalis I started reading The Shack. I read it in about 7 hours. I could not put it down. I truly hope you will consider reading it. It is a Fiction book...keep that in mind as you read it....but for me, personally, I was awakened again to God Is LOVE...He is Good...He Loves Us unconditionally. The book goes through an unimaginable tragedy of a family and how the father finds God, God's love, God's mercy, God's grace in all of the sorrow. I have to admit that for about a year and a half I've been struggling spiritually with how terrible things happen to people that love God. Does God allow bad things to happen to us? Does He turn away from us? Light was shed on those questions for me. If you do read it or have read it....PLEASE let me know what you thought. I have one friend who is reading it right now and I'm bugging her about her response...so I'd love to share your thoughts on the book.

Have a wonderful week!

Stay away from believing you're not loved....and run to God=Jesus=Holy Spirit=love=mercy=grace=peace=purpose.

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

I read it at the beginning of the summer. Let's talk...

Jenn said...

I finished reading this book earlier this week and I loved it. I actually bought a copy for a friend and passed my copy on to a friend. My recommendation to anyone is to just read it and let God do the rest. I started reading this book after hearing so many wonderful things about it and went in hoping it would " change my life" and then was frustrated midway through when I didn't feel that. But, when I let go and just read the book, I realized again what an amazing gift we are given and how awesome God's grace and mercury is. I will definitely recommend it to anyone and will be reading it again after my friend returns it. Thank you again for thinking of me and sharing.