Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Newman 4.01.95 - 5.15.09


It's taken me a few days to be able to write this. And even now I'm tearing up. Friday, May 15th we had to put Newman dog to sleep. OK, now I'm crying. There are too many stories to tell about Newman. He was a pain in the rear, but lots of fun too. He had been taking meds the past couple of months that helped him. But last Monday he started to really fail. We are blessed with an awesome vet who came to the house to take care of everything. We got to stay with him the whole time....we being Jon. I stayed in the house and watched from the window. I decided I didn't want to embarass my self or Jon by bawling in front of the vet. It's so quiet around here now. I guess I was so used to Newman barking throughout the day that I didn't realize how often he did. We buried him under a tree in the back where he liked to snooze and watch the world. I'll post some older pics of him later. He was such a cute puppy!!

A few quick memories:
-He loved to drink beer. We'd pour some out of our bottles for him. But after he drank it he would sneeze uncontrollably for a few minutes. LOL!
-When Newman was younger, Jon could make him howl by howling first. What sight!
-Even though he was short, somehow he was able to get an entire pan of rising bubble bread off the counter and devour 3/4th of it while grinding the remaining 1/4th into our carpet.
-He loved our cat Maggie. They would do a morning perimeter check of the back yard. Side by side. I have video of that.
-He had the stinkiest breathe ever. That is my first memory of him as a puppy. Stinky breath. I'm sure it wasn't from the 10 lbs. of cat poop he ate. Sorry, but true.

There's so many more stories. I'll have to have Jon put down his favorites. ALWAYS something with him.

Thanks Newman for all the funny stories and love. We'll really, really miss you....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have to apologize for loving our pets and for treating them as family...after all they love us for who we are and are faithful to us. Jim and I still talk about our Pari who lived with us and loved us for about 12 years. Many tears flowed when he went peacefully to sleep and is buried in our backyard. Sometime we will talk about our dogs and cry together Karren....love ya joan