Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"Hello. Mrs. Skelton? This is the school nurse."

OK, so I'm in Great Bend to meet Jon for lunch (he works in Great Bend full-time as of yesterday) and the cell phone rings, "This is the school nurse. Evan has a temperature of 101.9 Can you come get him?"

Cut to this morning at 7:00 am. "Mom, I don't feel good. My throat and head hurt." Once again I check, no temperature. It has not been a week since he was on antibiotics. He's got to be faking...right!?!? "Evan, get dressed, eat breakfast, you'll feel better." Off to school we go.

After the call from the nurse we scramble to get a hold of Jon's grandparents to go pick up Evan. I'm atleast 30 minutes away. Dump Jon off back at work. Drive home like Fast and the Furious 3. Sophie's screaming because I was going to feed her while we were waiting for our lunch. Run into grandma and grandad's house to comfort Evan. He's watching King Kong (like I would have let him do that!?!?). He just smiles at me and says he feels fine. WHAT! Are you kidding me? I swear that if a kid can fake a temperature Evan can do it. We head home and I ask him if he wants some soup when we get home (I'm sure he didn't feel well enough to eat), "I ate lunch at school....everthing, but I'll take some chicken and stars." Unbelievable. So you tell me...does he look sick in the pic up top? I'm sure the school nurse is considering calling SRS. I mean the kid told me he was sick.

Is it summer break yet? The kids aren't the only ones who can't wait!

Have a great day!

Stay away from fevers and bad movies....and run to home-made chicken soup and thermometers that read high so you can go home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered hiring an in-house Doctor???? :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.