Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Walking Home

Evan and Haley ride the bus after school, from their schools, to a school that is three blocks from our house. On nice days, like today, Sophie and I walk down and meet them and we all walk home together. It is one of my favorite things to do. They tell me all about their day. And because we are walking I guess they don't have the energy to fight with each other.

The big new from Haley's day was that "like 15 people got their color changed". That means they got in trouble in class. According to Haley there were several kids running around with permanent markers and marking the backs of other kids' heads. I had to ask myself why in the world would a 2nd grader be given a permanent marker? But anyway I guess it was quite exciting for a little while.

Haley's other big news was she got invited to a birthday party/sleep over for one of her best friends. God bless the mother of that child. The first time Haley had a birthday party we invited 8 girls. I wanted to kill them within 30 minutes. So the next year we only let her have 5 girls. I wanted to kill myself within 30 minutes. This year she only got to have 3 friends and we went to the movie. MAYBE we'll do that again next year.

Evan announced that he has been chosen to give one of the piano solos at the spring concert. Which is a miracle since he hasn't taken piano lessons since last spring. His former piano teacher will be thrilled! Some of you may ask why I don't teach him.....let's just say I only like to beat Evan for really good reasons. Our "lessons" in the past have consisted of me telling Evan what the sheet music says and Evan telling me I'm wrong. I always tell Evan if he's not a lawyer when he grows up it will be a crying shame because that kid loves to argue....and if my parents are reading this they LOVE it!

We've had a guest speaker at our church the last several days and she's been really good. She's from New Jersey and she's Italian. I've never heard praying so loud! She's great though...there's nothing quite like the Gospel being read with a Jersey accent. She's super passionate and loves the Lord and we've been blessed to experience her teaching. I don't want to get "preachy" but one thing the Lord has been showing me over and over and over the last couple of years is the importance of reading and studying the Bible. The Bible is the truth. If you're confused about life, love, the world, the future or the past...read the Bible. Because like it or not the world and everything and everyone in it is going to lie to you. Maybe not all the time, but they will lie to you. Sometimes, unintentionally, but they will lie to you. The Bible is the truth.

OK I'm done...off the soap box...I promise.

Stay away from 2nd graders with permanent markers....and run to long walks with children. Love ya all!

1 comment:

P.R.JUST said...

I kind of like the soap box. I'll never forget a professor reminding me that the Bible is THE TRUTH by which all subsequent truth is measured. And that's the truth.